- The story of grass: The journey from trial field to an Open
The story of grass: The journey from trial field to an Open
This seminar will look at the processes of grass breeding, trialling, production and commercialisation of a new grass cultivar. This journey involves many people in multiple countries over a period of more than 15 years. The seminar will specifically focus upon Barnoustie, a new slender creeping red fescue variety that will ultimately grace the fairways and greens of Open Championship venues among many others.
Dr Dave Greenshields has been helping turf professionals for over 14 years and has vast experience in helping and advising customers on seed, fertiliser and chemical applications. He is BASIS qualified in amenity and hard surfaces and is passionate about helping customers get the best from the products they are using.
- The distinct processes in grass breeding
- Understand official BSPB turfgrass trials and data for the UK market
- Interpretation of turfgrass seed booklet trial data
- Understanding of government registration of turf grasses
- Appreciation of the product development process
- Understanding of grass seed and variety selection
Dr. David Greenshields
Product Manager Barenbrug
David also currently serves on the Board of Management at Goswick Golf Club as Course Director. His background was in academia - he has a PhD. in Plant Genetics from Edinburgh University and a Master's degree in Environmental Biology from St Andrews University. In his spare time he tries in vain to hang onto a decent golf handicap whilst "managing" family life with two young daughters and a border collie.